Georgian National Museum
The Georgian National Museum was established at the end of 2004 by a Presidential decree. Its origins, however, date back to the founding of the Museum of the Caucasian Department of the Russian Royal Geographic Society in 1852.
The National Museum unifies the eight most important museums of Georgia:
S. Janashia Museum of Georgia
Museum of Fine Arts
Open Air Museum
Museum of Tbilisi History
Archeological Museum-Reserve of Vani
Samtskhe-Javakheti History Museum
Svaneti History-Ethnography Museum
The establishment of the Georgian National Museum is considered to be the beginning of structural, institutional, and legal reforms in the field of cultural heritage. The reform envisages introducing modern management schemes and establishing a homogeneous administration system. This initiative aimes at elaborating a coherent museum policy, improving the safety conditions for preserved collections, strengthening the education policy in the museum field, and coordinating academic and museum activities.
A world class museum services that conducts scientific research, informs, educates and inspires the public and plays an important role in the development of tourism.
To research, preserve, interpret and make accessible to all, the past and present of Georgia, of other nations and cultures, and the natural world.
– We invest in people and develop potential. We are committed to enabling our employees to realize their full potential and will invest in their training and development to achieve this.
– We demonstrate excellence. We will pursue excellence in all that we do, in order to provide a high quality service to our visitors and other users.
– We are committed to innovation and continuous improvement. We will encourage boldness and innovation, and support the continual improvement of our services.
– We provide inspiration, education and enjoyment. We will ensure that our activities and services provide inspiration, education and enjoyment for everyone. The GNM will provide accessible, exciting and appealing activities for all visitors.
– We will progress through partnership. We are committed to working in partnership with other museums, organizations and our stakeholders, in order to realize the full potential of our collections and contribution as a national organization.
– We encourage effective working and mutual respect. We will ensure fair, equal and respectful treatment for all employees and visitors. We will enable our employees to work effectively in teams, fostering honest and open communication and actions across our organization.
Working hours: Every day except Monday, 11.00-16.00